    SubjectRe: [RFC/BUG?] ide_cs's removable status
    On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 01:10:44AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > With drive->removable = 0 if I insert a card I get partition tables, it
    > will then not rescan that in future even if the card changed, because
    > there is no "media change detect" line, unlike on a floppy.
    >
    > If I pull the CF adapter out it is fine because you get pcmcia level
    > hotplug but that is not neccessary for card changing on better designed
    > adapters or when the CF adapter is on the board itself with a CF slot
    > exposed to the user.

    Interesting - all my CF adapters (and I have several, some cheapo
    noname things to some branded ones) are dumb pieces of hardware -
    they merely convert the PCMCIA connector to a CF connector, just as
    dumb as those 240V mains adapters.

    Also, "CF" is just a different form factor of PCMCIA - don't get
    mislead by the term "Compact Flash" - you can get "CF" network
    cards, serial cards, bluetooth cards, etc as well. They're exactly
    the same as PCMCIA network, serial, bluetooth cards, just in a
    smaller package.

    If you have a CF adapter which behaves as you describe above, could
    you please check what happens as far as PCMCIA goes when you unplug
    the CF card - particularly what happens to cardctl status / cardctl
    ident ?

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core