SubjectRe: 2.5.14-rc1-mm1.5 - keyboard wierdness
Date
On Wednesday 21 September 2005 22:35, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> I've had this happen twice now, running Andrew's "not quite -mm2" patch.
>
> Symptoms: After about 20-30 minutes uptime, a running gkrellm shows system mode
> suddenly shoot up to 99-100%, and the keyboard dies. Oddly enough, a USB mouse
> continued working, and the X server was still quite responsive (I was able to
> close Firefox by opening a menu with the mouse and selecting 'quit', for
> example).
>
> alt-sysrq-foo still worked, but ctl-alt-N to switch virtual consoles didn't.
> sysrq-t produced a trace with nothing obviously odd - klogd, syslog, and the
> disk were all working.
>
> Nothing interesting in the syslog - no oops, bug, etc..
>
> Another odd data point (I didn't notice if this part happened the first time):
> gkrellm reported that link ppp0 had inbound packets on the modem port of a
> Xircom ethernet/modem combo card. At the rate of 3.5M/second - a neat trick
> for a 56K modem. When I unplugged the RJ-11, gkrellm *kept* reporting the
> inbound traffic. When I ejected the card, *then* the ppp0 (and the alleged
> inbound packets) stopped - but still sitting at 99% system and no keyboard.
>
> This ring any bells? Any suggestions for instrumentation to help debug this?

I have seen this couple of times when I would eject my prism54 card at
a "bad" time - my card sometimes gets stuck (a known problem with some
prism54 cards) and if I would eject it "too early" I would lose keyboard.
So I wait till it complain:

prism54: Your card/socket may be faulty, or IRQ line too busy :(

and eject and insert it again and all is fine.

--
Dmitry