    SubjectRe: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
    On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
    >On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
    >> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
    >>
    >> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
    >
    >Gene,
    >
    >While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
    >might want to consider using git. It reduces the amount you have to
    >download for each release a lot.
    >
    >It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
    >
    >mkdir kernel
    >cd kernel
    >wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
    >tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
    >cd git-core-0.99.7
    >make install
    >cd ..
    >
    >git clone \
    >rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
    >linux
    >
    >cd linux
    >git checkout
    >

    >The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
    > wrap issues with the long url's. Anyway, after that you can stay
    > current with the latest Linus release with a simple "git pull".
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Sean

    What is the lifetime of this script? The reason I am asking is that
    somehow, the 'linux' directory got emptied when I used mc to make a
    copy of it to /usr/src/linux-2.6.14-rc2, which then built just fine
    and I'm running it.

    But editing the script so that it only does the stuff from the rsync
    line on, I have not been able to duplicate its flawless performance,
    instead getting this near the end of the proceedure:
    ------
    [...]
    tags/v2.6.14-rc2

    sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
    total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
    rsync: link_stat
    "/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
    (in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
    main.c(812)
    ------

    I have now re-ran this 4 times, each time doing an rm -fR on the
    'linux' directory, with the same results as above each time.

    Is this normal, or am I missing something important (and probably
    a 'duh' moment too) that it takes to do a re-run?

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-09-21 18:54    [W:0.033 / U:0.256 seconds]