SubjectRe: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>> FWIW, doesn't show it either just now.
>While snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git. It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>mkdir kernel
>cd kernel
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>cd git-core-0.99.7
>make install
>cd ..
>git clone \
>rsync:// \
>cd linux
>git checkout
>The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
> wrap issues with the long url's. Anyway, after that you can stay
> current with the latest Linus release with a simple "git pull".

What is the lifetime of this script? The reason I am asking is that
somehow, the 'linux' directory got emptied when I used mc to make a
copy of it to /usr/src/linux-2.6.14-rc2, which then built just fine
and I'm running it.

But editing the script so that it only does the stuff from the rsync
line on, I have not been able to duplicate its flawless performance,
instead getting this near the end of the proceedure:
sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
rsync: link_stat
(in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
I have now re-ran this 4 times, each time doing an rm -fR on the
'linux' directory, with the same results as above each time.

Is this normal, or am I missing something important (and probably
a 'duh' moment too) that it takes to do a re-run?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
99.35% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
message by Gene Heskett are: