    SubjectRe: p = kmalloc(sizeof(*p), )
    On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:31:36AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Last I looked, depending on what the initializer was, gcc would create a
    > temporary struct on the stack first, and then do a "memcpy()" of the
    > result. Not only does that obviously generate a lot of extra code, it also
    > blows your kernel stack to kingdom come.
    >
    > So be careful out there, and check what code it generates first. With at
    > least a few versions of gcc.

    BTW, one very useful thing we could do in sparse would be an attribute for
    a struct that would generate a warning whenever sizeof is calculated - i.e.
    catch the
    pointer arithmetics on pointers to these suckers
    sizeof(expression having such type)
    variable of such type (as opposed to pointers to such type)
    composite types containing elements of such type
    with new primitive (#defined to sizeof if __CHECKER__ is not defined)
    that would act as sizeof, but without a warning. Optionally, we might
    want assignments, passing as argument and conversion of pointers to
    such beasts down to void * generate the same warnings.

    It would be very useful when e.g. tracking down improper uses of
    struct file, struct dentry, etc. - stuff that should always be
    allocated by one helper function. Same goes for e.g. net_device -
    conversion to dynamic allocation involved doing what I've described
    above manually (i.e. creative uses of grep). If we had sparse
    working on the entire tree back then and could do that sort of
    checks, it would have saved a lot of PITA...

    It shouldn't be hard to implement, AFAICS; I'll try to put together
    something of that kind.