SubjectRe: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts
Date
On Sep 17, 2005, at 18:31:33, D. Hazelton wrote:
> That, and my point remains that the kernel should know absolutely
> nothing about how to execute a text file - the kernel should return
> an error to the extent of "I don't know what to do with this file"
> to the shell that tries to execute it, and the shell can then check
> for the sh_bang. I do admit that this change would break a lot of
> existing code, so I'll leave the argument to the experts.

No, that would not work at all. We have a very nice system to allow
set-uid scripts (Specifically, I like my nice secure taint-mode set-
uid perl scripts). If you did this, they would break completely, not
to mention _add_ all sorts of unsolvable race conditions to the few
ways of working around such a lack of SUID scripts. Also, it means
that I can't just "mv /sbin/init /sbin/init.real ; vim /sbin/init" to
do a simple wrapper around the init program, I would need to write a
compiled C program to do all sorts of fragile hackish things like
calling a script /sbin/init.sh.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the

  Last update: 2005-09-18 05:52    [W:0.066 / U:0.660 seconds]