SubjectRe: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts
Martin Mares wrote:
> I doubt that. For ages people were using several different encodings on
> a single system (at least here in .cz) without any markers and although
> there were some rough edges, almost everything worked. Now we do the same
> with ISO-8859-2 and UTF-8, again with no need for a marker.

This is true for text files, where a human reader can interpret the data
correctly even in absence of a declaration. For programming languages,
this is typically not the case. Instead, in order to correctly interpret
the source code, you need to declare the encoding. For a script, this
should be done inside the file itself, as there is no explicit
invocation of a compiler or some such where the script encoding could
be specified externally.

  Last update: 2005-09-16 22:36    [W:0.058 / U:4.772 seconds]