    SubjectRe: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts
    Martin Mares wrote:
    > I doubt that. For ages people were using several different encodings on
    > a single system (at least here in .cz) without any markers and although
    > there were some rough edges, almost everything worked. Now we do the same
    > with ISO-8859-2 and UTF-8, again with no need for a marker.

    This is true for text files, where a human reader can interpret the data
    correctly even in absence of a declaration. For programming languages,
    this is typically not the case. Instead, in order to correctly interpret
    the source code, you need to declare the encoding. For a script, this
    should be done inside the file itself, as there is no explicit
    invocation of a compiler or some such where the script encoding could
    be specified externally.

    Regards,
    Martin

      Last update: 2005-09-16 22:36    [W:0.020 / U:0.476 seconds]