    SubjectRe: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts
    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Bodo Eggert wrote:

    > > What's supposed to happen if you concatenate a script from your french
    > > user and from your russian user, both using localized text, into one file?
    > > Unless you can guarantee every editor to correctly handle this case, all
    > > usage of 8-bit-characters should be disabled - NOT!
    > Actually, it's quite easy to avoid problems by using UTF-8 consistently.
    > The 8-bit characters are oddballs and need to be treated specially,
    > but look, guys, it's 2005 - UTF-8 should be the norm, not the exception.

    It should, but as long as old programs are still around, we'll have both
    and need a marker to distinguish them. Otherwise we'll be stuck with
    legacy scripts for a long time.

    I'm a member of DNA (National Assocciation of Dyslexics).
    -- Storm in <5Z4Z7.52353$>

      Last update: 2005-09-16 21:00    [W:0.020 / U:26.808 seconds]