    SubjectRe: [RFC] subclasses in sysfs to solve world peace
    On 9/16/05, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:23:43PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > > On Thursday 15 September 2005 20:04, Kay Sievers wrote:
    > > > I like that the child devices are actually below the parent device
    > > > and represent the logical structure. I prefer that compared to the
    > > > symlink-representation between the classes at the same directory
    > > > level which the input patches propose.
    > >
    > > Why don't we take it a step further and abandon classes altogether?
    > > This way everything will grow from their respective hardware devices.
    >
    > That'd seem like a quite a good idea to me. ;)

    You just saying that ;)

    Look at I2C/sensors people. They are moving from having every sensor
    crampled into I2C bus to hwmon class so all the sensors can be easily
    located (by some program or what's not).

    > > Class represent a set of objects with similar characteristics. In
    > > this regard event0 is no "lesser" than input0.
    >
    > Well, input0 itself can't be accessed from userspace, so it's different.

    Why is this a factor? We are not talking about /dev here. We have a
    lot of things in sysfs that are not directly accessible from
    userspace.

    > > Although they are
    > > linked they are objects of the same importance. I do want to see
    > > all input interfaces without scanning bunch of directories.
    >
    > A directory with symlinks to all the interfaces of the class might make
    > sense.

    I'll try fix the patch I posted last night (that implements the above,
    or at least what Kay described with sub-devices residing under their
    parent devices and symlinked into their classes), I believe it could
    also be used for block, so it will be like:

    .../block/
    |-- devices
    | |-- sda
    | | |-- device -> ../../../../
    | | |-- sda1
    | | | |-- dev
    | | | `-- device -> ../../../../../block/partitions/sda1
    | | |-- sda2
    | | | |-- dev
    | | | `-- device -> ../../../../../block/partitions/sda2
    `-- partitions
    |-- sda1 -> ../../../class/block/devices/sda/sda1
    |-- sda2 -> ../../../class/block/devices/sda/sda2

    --
    Dmitry