SubjectRe: Current state of GIT fetch/pull clients
Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Neither http nor rsync transports know about the 'alternates'
> mechanism yet, so if a downloader does:
>
> $ git pull http://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree
> $ git pull rsync://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree
>
> unless the downloader has already fetched from Linus'
> repository, this will not work.
>
> * In the case of rsync transport, it would slurp all objects
> your repository has, but does not get objects from Linus'
> repository. Also, rsync will overwrite the
> objects/info/alternates file the downloader has in his
> repository with what you have in your repository, which is
> not what we want.

Yes, this is why I don't bother with alternates at the present time.
Users of my repos, at least, have been trained to use rsync://... and
currently expect to get a working tree that way.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-09-16 03:07    [W:0.741 / U:0.052 seconds]