    SubjectRe: Automatic Configuration of a Kernel
    Hi,

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Ahmad Reza Cheraghi wrote:

    > I wrote this Framework for making a .config based on
    > the System Hardwares. It would be a great help if some
    > people would give me their opinion about it.

    How interested are you in finishing this project?
    I'm asking because the major part is still ahead of you and I'm not sure
    how much further you want to take it take it beyond your university
    project.

    The basic problem is that maintaining the bulk of autoconfig information
    in a separate file is not feasible, it would be a nightmare to maintain.
    This means it would be better to integrate this information into Kconfig
    and define interface so that external program/scripts (preferably shell
    instead of perl) can use that to configure the kernel.

    A simple example could look like this:

    config FOO
    bool "foo"
    def_auto y

    Internally this would become:

    config FOO
    bool "foo" if !AUTO_CONFIG
    default y if AUTO_CONFIG

    AUTO_CONFIG could also be used to ask some simple questions for things
    that can't be automatically configured and these answers can be used to
    adjust other parameters, e.g.:

    config AUTO_SERVER
    bool "Configure for a server"
    depends on AUTO_CONFIG

    config BAR
    bool "blah"
    def_auto AUTO_SERVER

    Driver configuration might look something like this:

    module foo
    tristate "foo support"

    Kconfig would generate a config symbol FOO and a Makefile entry for this.
    Autoconfiguration could now either look like this:

    module foo
    pci_map VENDOR DEVICE [...]

    or we just an option and extract the data from the source:

    module foo
    option pci

    In either case Kconfig would feed this data an to external program which
    matches it with the existing data and returns the matching config symbols
    (the matching process would be pretty much like what hotplug already
    does).

    As you can see a proper integration would require a bit of work, I can
    help with Kconfig related parts, but it needs integration into several
    systems. The end result would be much more useful. Instead of maintaining
    another file, the data is shared and automatically updated by the relevant
    system.

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-09-15 13:24    [W:0.028 / U:35.556 seconds]