SubjectRe: Automatic Configuration of a Kernel
Date
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:04, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 19:03 -0700, David Lang wrote:
> > another advantage of having an auto-config for the kernel is that people
> > who are experimenting may have the auto-config find hardware that they
> > didn't realize they had (or they didn't realize that support had been
> > added)
> >
> > I know that most of my kernels don't have support for everything the
> > motherboards have on them (mostly I don't care much about the other
> > features, but in some cases they weren't supported, or weren't worth the
> > hassle of figureing the correct config for when I started, and I've never
> > gone back to try and figure it out)
>
> Why does this have to be in the kernel again? Isn't this exactly what
> you get with a fully modular config and hotplug?

Not so much the kernel. When compiling the kernel I'd prefer not to waste time
and space compiling the 100+ modules I will never ever use on my laptop. I'd
prefer for something to select the modules necessary for my hardware. I can't
afford the time to keep up to date with that's new and what isn't, what has
changed, what has been superseded, which module works with which device,
chipset even, etc...

Marek W

--
2b | !2b