SubjectRe: devfs vs udev FAQ from the other side
On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 17:51 -0700, Mike Bell wrote:

> devfs advantages over udev:
> 1) devfs is smaller
> Hey, I ran the benchmarks, I have numbers, something Greg never gave.

Actually, there are not many numbers in this email.

> Took an actual devfs system of mine and disabled devfs from the
> kernel, then enabled hotplug and sysfs for udev to run. make clean
> and surprise surprise, kernel is much bigger. Enable netlink stuff and
> it's bigger still. udev is only smaller if like Greg you don't count
> its kernel components against it, even if they wouldn't otherwise need
> to be enabled. Difference is to the tune of 604164 on udev and 588466
> on devfs. Maybe not a lot in some people's books, but a huge
> difference from the claims of other people that devfs is actually
> bigger.

What modern system, though, could survive without hotplug and sysfs and
netlink? You need to have those components, you want those features,
anyhow.

So your comparison is unrealistic.

Your user-space argument is better. Is ndevfs not sufficient?

Robert Love

  Last update: 2005-09-15 03:11    [W:0.079 / U:0.240 seconds]