    SubjectRe: [2/2] Change p[gum]d_clear_* inlines to macros to fix p?d_ERROR
    Date
    On Saturday 10 September 2005 16:15, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > Change p[gum]d_clear_* inlines to macros to fix p?d_ERROR
    > >
    > > When this code was refactored by Hugh it was moved out of the actual
    > > functions into these inlines. The problem is that pgd_ERROR
    > > uses __FUNCTION__ and __LINE__ to show where the error happened,
    > > and with the inline that is pretty meaningless now because
    > > it's the same for all callers.
    > >
    > > Change them to be macros to avoid this problem
    >
    > Please don't. It adds much less than I misremember (only 550 bytes
    > to my i386 PAE config), but even so it's a waste of space.

    Hmm? Macros and inlines take the same amount of space.

    > (Of course, I was emboldened to make those changes because the messages
    > had never been seen in living memory, beyond our own private development
    > screwups. They started appearing just around the time I changed them.)

    I have actually seen them while debugging something. But it was useless. That
    is why I made the change.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-09-10 16:48    [W:0.021 / U:29.936 seconds]