SubjectRe: FYI: device_suspend(...) in kernel_power_off().
Hi.

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 03:25, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> writes:
>
> > Hi!

> >> It seems there is an fundamental incompatibility with ACPI power off.
> >> As best as I can tell the normal case of device_suspend(PMSG_SUSPEND)
> >> works reasonably well in 2.6.x.
> >
> > Powerdown is going to have the same problems as the powerdown at the
> > end of suspend-to-disk. Can you ask people reporting broken shutdown
> > to try suspend-to-disk?
>
> Everyone I know of who is affected has been copied on this thread.
> However your request is just nonsense. There is a device_resume in
> the code before we get to the device_shutdown so there should be no
> effect at all. Are we looking at the same kernel?

My poweroff after suspend-to-disk was broken during 2.6.13-rcs, and came
right in rc6.

> >> differences, on that code path. The most peculiar problem I tracked
> >> is someone had a machine that would go into power off state and then
> >> wake right back up because of the device_suspend(PMSG_SUSPEND)
> >> change.
> >
> > So something is wrong with ACPI wakeup GPEs. It would hurt in
> > suspend-to-disk case, too.
>
> Something was wrong. I can't possibly see how the suspend-to-disk
> case would be affected.
>
> >> I won't call it impossible to resolve the problems, but the people
> >
> > Good.
>
> Nope. Now that I have read the code I would just call it nonsense.
>
> >> So yes without a darn good argument as to why it should work. I will
> >> go with the experimental evidence that it fails miserably and
> >> trivially because of semantic incompatibility and can therefore
> >> never be fixed.
> >
> > I do not think any "semantic" issues exist. We need to pass detailed
> > info down to the drivers that care, and we need to fix all the bugs in
> > the drivers. That should be pretty much it.
>
> Given that acpi and other platform firmware is involved there are
> pieces we cannot fix. We either match the spec or we are incorrect.
>
> I haven't a clue how suspend/resume is expected to interact with
> things in suspend to disk scenario. Reading through the code
> the power message is PMSG_FREEZE not PMSG_SUSPEND (as you
> implemented). All of the hardware is actually resumed before
> we device_shutdown() is called.
>
> I want to see the correlation between device_suspend(PMSG_FREEZE) and
> the code in device_shutdown(), but I don't see it.
> device_suspend(...) is all about allowing the state of a device to be
> preserved. device_shutdown() is really about stopping it. These are
> really quite different operations.

Agreed here.

> With the pm_suspend_disk calling kernel_power_off it appears that we
> currently have complete code reuse of the relevant code on that path.
>
> Currently I see no true redundancy between the two cases at all.
> The methods do different things for different purposes. Which is
> about the largest semantic difference I can think of. The fact
> that the methods at first glance look like they do the same
> thing is probably the real surprise.

If the suspend to disk code called kernel_power_off, it should be
exactly what it sounds like. We've already written the image and we now
went to simply power down the machine. Just as with a 'normal'
powerdown, we should do everything necessary to ensure all data
submitted to hard drives is really flushed and that emergency head
parking isn't done, and then power down (or reboot). This should, so far
as I can see, be exactly the same in both cases.

Regards,

Nigel

--
Evolution.