SubjectRe: datagram queue length
linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
>>I seem to be running into a limit of 64 queued datagrams. This isn't a
>>data buffer size; varying the size of the datagram makes no difference
>>in the observed queue size. If more datagrams are sent before some are
>>read, they are silently dropped. (By "silently," I mean, "tcpdump
>>doesn't record these as dropped packets.")

> Your datagram receiver isn't keeping up with your datagram
> transmitter. If you increase the number of datagrams that are
> being queued, you will still encounter the same problem, but
> after more datagrams are stored.

Right -- except that my consumer is quite fast enough in the average
case; it's only the worst case where it can't keep up. Extending the
queue would allow it to catch up with such bursts of activity without
dropping requests. The low- and mid- hanging fruit has already been
picked as far as consumer optimization goes; anything remaining is quite
high indeed.

> In your test code, you deliberately don't receive anything
> for 5 seconds. What do you expect?

I expected to demonstrate the problem. :)

-Jonathan

  Last update: 2005-08-09 16:54    [W:0.028 / U:0.524 seconds]