    SubjectRe: x86_64 frame pointer via thread context
    Dave Jiang wrote:
    > Andi Kleen wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Jiang <djiang@mvista.com> writes:
    >>
    >>> Am I doing something wrong, or is this intended to be this way on
    >>> x86_64, or is something incorrect in the kernel? This method works
    >>> fine on i386. Thanks for any help!
    >>

    >> I just tested your program on SLES9 with updated kernel and RBP
    >> looks correct to me. Probably something is wrong with your user space
    >> includes or your compiler.
    >>
    >> -Andi
    >

    > I revised the app a little so that it would allow the threads to start,
    > thus should prevent rBP w/ all 0's showing up. Below are some of results
    > that I've gotten from various different distros and platforms. As you
    > can see, the f's shows up on most of them, including Suse 9.2. The only
    > one showed up looking ok is the Mandrake/Mandriva distro. I'm not sure
    > how different SLES9 is from Suse9.2....

    Replace call to sleep() with busy loop. Glibc's sleep() uses %ebp for
    its own data, so when you interrupt sleep(), you get rbp=(unsigned int)-1,
    as rbp really contains 0x0000.0000.ffff.ffff when nanosleep() syscall
    is issued.
    Petr

      Last update: 2005-08-08 22:09    [W:0.027 / U:34.112 seconds]