    SubjectRe: Fw: two 2.6.13-rc3-mm3 oddities
    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Dipankar Sarma wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:56:44AM +1000, Andrew Morton forwarded from Hugh:
    > >
    > > Subject: two 2.6.13-rc3-mm3 oddities
    > >
    > > One time my tmpfs-and-looped-tmpfs-kernel-builds collapsed with lots of
    > > VFS: file-max limit 49778 reached
    > > messages, which I imagine was a side-effect of the struct file RCU
    > > patches you've dropped from -rc4-mm1, perhaps a grace period problem.
    >
    > Hugh, could you please try this with the experimental patch below ?

    I'll give it a go. But first I ought to try to reproduce the problem
    more easily - it happened after about two hours of a test which had run
    for two or more hours (before hitting the apparently unrelated problem)
    at least twice each on at least two machines. So until I can reproduce
    the problem more easily, it'll take some while to have confidence that
    your patch addresses it. Therefore worth a little effort at my end to
    cut it down (and if I can't cut it down, I may have to solve the odder
    locked page issue to get the original test to run long enough to hit
    the file-max problem with any likelihood).

    > Hugh, can you mail me the exact test you run ? I would like to run
    > it myself and see if I can reproduce it.

    It'll waste less of both our time if I at least try to reproduce it
    more quickly first. Hold on...

    Hugh

      Last update: 2005-08-08 17:26    [W:0.021 / U:30.520 seconds]