    SubjectRe: [openib-general] Re: mthca and LinuxBIOS
    On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 04:06:06PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:38:37PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > But what's the real problem we are trying to fix here?
    >
    > We're screwing up the top 32 bits of the BAR when you resume it. Look at
    > the patch, you'll see the fix (the other part of the patch looks fine, but
    > then in order to not overwrite the upper bits with zero again when doing
    > the _next_ - nonexistent - BAR update, we need to have something that
    > avoids writing the next BAR).

    ISTR making comments before about the offending patch on linux-pci mailing
    list. Is this the same patch that assumes pci_dev->resource[i] == BAR[i] ?
    That's not true for 64-bit bars.

    > Remember: a 64-bit BAR puts the upper 32 bits in what would otherwise be
    > the low 32 bits of the next BAR. Which is why we need to mark the next BAR
    > resource as _not_ being valid some way - so that we don't try to
    > (incorrectly) "restore" it and overwrite the high bits of the previous
    > BAR.

    > Of course, this only hits the (very few) people who not only have 64-bit
    > PCI devices, but literally have them mapped in the 4GB+ region.

    *lots* of PCI device now have 64-bit BAR.
    The first I'm aware of was LSI 53c896 card (Ultra 2 SCSI).

    > Quite uncommon.

    Assigning 4GB+ regions is uncommon because too often
    either the HW, the OS, or the driver would break.
    firmware keeps having to worry about legacy OSs.

    grant

      Last update: 2005-08-06 02:01    [W:0.022 / U:0.436 seconds]