SubjectRe: [RFC] Demand faulting for large pages
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:05:42PM -0700, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> Adam Litke wrote on Friday, August 05, 2005 8:22 AM
> > Below is a patch to implement demand faulting for huge pages. The main
> > motivation for changing from prefaulting to demand faulting is so that
> > huge page allocations can follow the NUMA API. Currently, huge pages
> > are allocated round-robin from all NUMA nodes.
>
> Do users of hugetlb going to accept the fact that now app will SIGBUS
> when there aren't enough free hugetlb pages present at the time of fault?
> It's not very nice though, but is that the general consensus?

Probably not. But the simple minded overcommit check at mapping that was in the
earlier SLES codebase seemed to work for people (or at least I've never
heard a complaint about that). Adding that should be pretty easy.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-08-05 23:50    [W:0.060 / U:1.556 seconds]