SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: Fw: ati-remote strangeness from 2.6.12 onwards
Hi,

Andrew Morton wrote:
> IOW: what does this (wordwrapped!) patch do?

It changes the keycode the kernel is sending for three keys. For normal
keyboards there is usually no argument to which keycode to send. An 'a'
would send the keycoe for an 'a'. This however is a remote control. The
keys are labled 'OK', 'TV' and 'DVD'. Therefore the kernel currently
sends the keycodes KEY_OK, KEY_TV and KEY_DVD. The patch changes this to
KEY_ENTER, KEY_PROG1 and KEY_PROG2.

I do not know about the motivation of this patch, as the kernel
currently _does_ send keycodes, maybe just not the ones the some users
might want. IMHO this is an issue of remapping the keycodes in userspace
and I would like to leave the kernel-codes alone. However, I might not
see the whole problem here because it is working fine for me.

Btw, Pavel:

> No, I think that you can still diferentiate between them ... they come
> from different keyboard after all. See /dev/input/event*.

How can I tell the consoles of linux which keyboard to use? So far they
all use all keyboards (which is my usual keyboard mixed with the remote
control keys). (Yes, I searched google extensivly and no, I do not have
X on that machine.)

Frank

  Last update: 2005-08-05 08:53    [W:0.188 / U:0.100 seconds]