    SubjectRe: 2.6.13-rc4: yenta_socket and swsusp
    Andreas Steinmetz <ast@domdv.de> wrote:

    > [now sending to lkml as sending to the pcmcia list without being
    > subscribed seems to go to /dev/null]

    Seems that the linux-kernel list has the same result ;(

    > I do have problems with yenta_socket on my x86_64 laptop which appear
    > when using swsusp (suspend to disk mode).
    >
    > 1. When I do not access any pcmcia device from initrd during boot
    > I have to terminate cardmgr, otherwise suspend to disk hangs.
    > For 2.6.11 it was sufficient to call 'cardctl eject'.
    >
    > 2. When I have to access a pcmcia device from initrd during boot
    > (there's required crypto keys stored on a pcmcia flash disk)
    > and I do not unload yenta_socket prior to suspend the laptop
    > spontaneously reboots or just hangs on resume when swsusp has
    > finished loading.
    >
    > 3. If I do not unload the pcmcia modules prior to suspend with
    > rmmod -w unloading yenta_socket fails.
    >
    > 4. If I do unload the pcmcia modules in a loop with rmmod -w
    > but no delay between unloading the modules it happens from
    > time to time that yenta_socket unloading hangs with a use
    > count of 2 when there is definitely no more user of the module.
    > A delay of 50 msec after unload of each pcmcia module seems
    > to cure this.
    >
    > 5. If I insert yenta_socket within the first few seconds after resume
    > the laptop spontaneously reboots. A 5 second delay seems to cure
    > this most of the time.

    OK so we have one solid regression there. Are the other problems also new
    since 2.6.11?

    Could you please retest 2.6.13-rc6 when it's out and if problems remain,
    raise a bugzilla.kernel.org entry so we can keep track of the problem?
    Thanks.

    (I'm trying to get all unattended and older-than-a-few-days bug reports
    pushed over to bugzilla so they don't get lost).

    > BTW:
    > Did I read this right? PCMCIA control ioctl (needed for pcmcia-cs
    > [cardmgr, cardctl]) scheduled for removal in november *this* year? So a
    > 3 month warning for everybody is sufficient? Probably only one kernel
    > release? So much for sufficient backwards compatability. Especially as
    > the tools stated to be required aren't even released as of today (hint:
    > module-init-tools 3.2). Grrr.

    Three months does sound optimistic. Dominik, wouldn't a year be better?

      Last update: 2005-08-05 02:17    [W:0.025 / U:32.596 seconds]