    SubjectRe: APs from the Kernel Summit run Linux
    On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 02:18:10PM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > > If it is from the ASUS, what makes you think that the D-Link runs the
    > > same OS? It is quite often the case that one chipset design has
    > > multiple operating systems ported to it (you see systems with the same
    > > broadcom or Intersil chipset, one running Linux, the other VxWorks).
    > > Please indicate how you came to the conclusion that the D-Link really
    > > runs Linux.
    > The device's ESSID during boot is 'Marvell AP-32', and the Libertas
    > AP-32 and AP-52 design toolkits contain only ports of Linux and eCos to
    > the device, according to Marvell. Considering the device's routing
    > capabilities I'm believe it's running Linux, but I don't have a solid
    > proof yet, unfortunately. The eCos port is intended for the non-router
    > variety of the design.

    There could also be a 3rd party toolkit with a different OS that you
    don't know about...

    > On the other hand, eCos seems to be GPL, too, although it's possible
    > that the owner dual-licenses it.

    According to, it is either still RedHat
    or already transferred to the FSF. That doesn't sound like dual
    licensing, I don't think the FSF would do that...

    > > > A firmware image is available from D-Link
    > > > and it seems to be composed of compressed blocks padded by zeroes. I haven't
    > > > verified yet that it's indeed a compressed kernel, cramfs, etc, but it seems
    > > > quite likely.
    > >
    > > I'm downloading it right now, and I'll see whether I can find any Linux
    > > in there.
    > Good luck. I'll try to take a look, too.

    Up to now I can only tell you that it doesn't look like any of the 50+
    linux firmware images I've seen so far.

    > > Sure, it's (unfortunately) not the first time I'm dealing with D-Link on
    > > their GPL [in]compliance :((
    > Rather unrelated, I'm trying to figure out what to do with Elo
    > Touchsystems, they used my HID driver as a base of their own binary-only
    > driver and don't answer to e-mail.

    Well, if you seriously want to do something about it: They have a German
    subsidiary. So if the respective product can be bought through that .de
    office, we can do something about it here. Let's take this offline.

    - Harald Welte <>
    (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)
      Last update: 2005-08-30 15:10    [W:0.030 / U:3.240 seconds]