    SubjectRe: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor
    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

    > but it would have to be opt in. That might lower coverage but should
    > increase quality, especially id the id in the cookie can be put into
    > bugzilla reports, and the hardware reporting is done so it can be
    > machine processed (ie so you can ask stuff like 'reliability with Nvidia
    > IDE')

    Maybe I used the wrong words... But you are right: It has to be opt-in! A
    change in the kernel sources which automagically sends data, regardless
    what kind of data, to somewhere in the net must not be enabled by default.

    But until klive is implemented one day it is interesting thinking about
    what possibilities (and maybe even possible misuse) such a data
    collection has. What data does klive send? Is the data just a hash of
    different system variables or is it also possible to identify one single
    computer (or person)? Data protection...laws etc. are things that must be
    considered too maybe.

    I think the problem is not the technical implementation. The bigger
    problem is the data, where it comes from and the most interesting point
    what to do with it at the end.

    Sven

      Last update: 2005-08-31 00:46    [W:3.530 / U:0.148 seconds]