    SubjectRe: process creation time increases linearly with shmem
    Ray Fucillo wrote:

    > Nick Piggin wrote:
    >> How does the following look? (I changed the comment a bit). Andrew,
    >> please
    >> apply if nobody objects.
    > Nick, I applied this latest patch to a 2.6.12 kernel and found that it
    > does resolve the problem. Prior to the patch on this machine, I was
    > seeing about 23ms spent in fork for ever 100MB of shared memory
    > segment. After applying the patch, fork is taking about 1ms
    > regardless of the shared memory size.

    Hi Ray,
    That's good news. I think we should probably consider putting the patch in
    2.6.14 or if not, then definitely 2.6.15.

    Andrew, did you pick up the patch or should I resend to someone?

    I think the fork latency alone is enough to justify inclusion...
    however, did
    you actually see increased aggregate throughput of your database (or at
    not a _decreased_ throughput)?

    > Many thanks to everyone for your help on this.

    Well thank you very much for breaking the kernel and telling us about it! :)

      Last update: 2005-08-30 02:54    [W:0.023 / U:62.180 seconds]