    SubjectRe: process creation time increases linearly with shmem

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Ray Fucillo wrote:
    > FWIW, an interesting side effect of this occurs when I run the database
    > with this patch internally on a Linux server that uses NIS. Its an
    > unrelated problem and not a kernel problem. Its due to the children
    > calling initgroups()... apparently when you have many processes making
    > simultaneous initgroups() calls something starts imposing very long
    > waits in increments of 3 seconds

    Sounds like something is backing off by waiting for three seconds whenever
    some lock failure occurs. I don't see what locking the code might want to
    do (it should just do the NIS equivalent of reading /etc/groups and do a
    "setgroups()" system call), but I assume that the NIS server ends up
    having some strange locking.

    You might do an "ltrace testcase" (and, probably, the nis server) to see
    if you can see where it happens, and bug the appropriate maintainers.
    Especially if you have a repeatable test-case (where "repeatable" isn't
    just for your particular machine: it's probably timing-related), somebody
    might even fix it ;)

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.027 / U:6.400 seconds]