SubjectRe: Surround via SPDIF with ALSA/emu10k1?
I have now been told that SPDIF cannot support more than 2 channels
except with AC3 compression. Given the fact that we can send 580MBit/s
over USB2.0 I would not have even remotely considered this to be the
problem and find it an incredible shame that audio industry is using
such a crippled standard.

I have now solved my problem by buying and connecting an analog 5.1
speaker set. Unfortunately I get audible distortions when I turn both
the "PCM" and "Wave" mixers to the maximum setting. I wonder if anyone
can provide more insight what these controls really do and whether it's
better to turn down "PCM", "Wave" or both.

Tom

--
T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Give as few orders as possible, once you've given orders on a subject, you
must always give orders on that subject. - Duke Leto in Dune

  Last update: 2005-08-27 20:22    [W:0.148 / U:0.104 seconds]