    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6 context switching and posix threads performance question
    Group replies work best with mailing lists.

    On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 14:30 +0200, Mateusz Berezecki wrote:
    > On 8/27/05, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:
    >
    > > Well the obvious question is: what kernel version and which thread
    > > library?
    >
    > Ah, sorry I just forgot to put this info
    >
    > Linux blade1 2.6.12 #1 SMP Tue Jul 26 08:43:57 GMT 2005 i686 Intel(R)
    > Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    >
    > the cpu is with HT so Linux thinks there are 4 cpus on board
    >

    > > 2.4 with LinuxThreads might have severe problems. However 2.6 with NPTL
    > > should be able to handle it, IIRC Igno once did a million threads with
    _Ingo_ Molnar that is; I really should have gotten those 4 letters in
    the right order by now, humble appologies.

    > > that combination just to show that it worked ;-).
    >
    > Yes, but how about switching contexts and the performance impact?
    > Will it slowdown the whole system or just result in low or medium
    > overhead?.
    > These threads are meant to be running an intensive network connection
    > and possibly analysing the dataflow and maybe filtering some stuff.
    > Each thread doing the same task.

    I think it should work; however I'm not the most qualified to answer
    this.

    --
    Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>