    SubjectRe: process creation time increases linearly with shmem

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I still don't think we need to test vm_file. We can add an
    > > anon_vma test if you like, if we really want to minimize the fork
    > > overhead, in favour of later faults. Do we?
    >
    > When you consider NUMA placement (the child process may
    > end up running elsewhere), allocating things like page
    > tables lazily may well end up being a performance win.

    It should be easy enough to benchmark something like kernel compiles etc,
    which are reasonably fork-rich and should show a good mix for something
    like this. Or even just something like "time to restart a X session" after
    you've brought it into memory once.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.023 / U:0.212 seconds]