SubjectRe: process creation time increases linearly with shmem
Nick Piggin wrote:
> fork() can be changed so as not to set up page tables for
> MAP_SHARED mappings. I think that has other tradeoffs like
> initially causing several unavoidable faults reading
> libraries and program text.
> What kind of application are you using?

The application is a database system called Caché. We allocate a large
shared memory segment for database cache, which in a large production
environment may realistically be 1+GB on 32-bit platforms and much
larger on 64-bit. At these sizes fork() is taking hundreds of
miliseconds, which can become a noticeable bottleneck for us. This
performance characteristic seems to be unique to Linux vs other Unix

  Last update: 2005-08-25 15:10    [W:0.091 / U:0.032 seconds]