SubjectRe: process creation time increases linearly with shmem
Ray Fucillo wrote:
> I am seeing process creation time increase linearly with the size of the
> shared memory segment that the parent touches. The attached forktest.c
> is a very simple user program that illustrates this behavior, which I
> have tested on various kernel versions from 2.4 through 2.6. Is this a
> known issue, and is it solvable?

fork() can be changed so as not to set up page tables for
MAP_SHARED mappings. I think that has other tradeoffs like
initially causing several unavoidable faults reading
libraries and program text.

What kind of application are you using?

SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

  Last update: 2005-08-25 02:16    [W:0.125 / U:3.260 seconds]