SubjectRe: 2.6.12 Performance problems

--- Patrick McHardy <kaber@trash.net> wrote:

> Danial Thom wrote:
> > None of this is helpful, but since no one has
> > been able to tell me how to tune it to
> provide
> > absolute priority to the network stack I'll
> > assume it can't be done.
>
> The network stack already has priority over
> user processes,
> except when executed in process context, so
> preemption has
> no direct impact on briding or routing
> performance.
>
> The reason why noone answered your question is
> because you
> don't ask but claim or assume.

No, its because guys like you snip out content
when they reply, and/or only read the parts of
messages that you want to read, so when other
people enter a thread, they miss the questions
that were asked long ago. Quoting my post on Aug
22:

"All of this aside, I need to measure the raw
capabilities of the kernel. With 'bsd OSes I can
tell what the breaking point is by driving the
machine to livelock. Linux seems to have a soft,
floating capacity in that it will drop packets
here and there for no isolatable reason. I'm
having difficulty making a case for its use in a
networking appliance, as dropped packets are not
acceptable. How do I tune the "its ok to drop
packets when x occurs" algorithm to be "its never

ok to drop packets unless x occurs" (such as a
queue depth)? Is it possible?"

Danial