Subjectdebug a high load average
Hi All:

I have a case occasionally when I copy data from a usb storage (ipod) to
my hard drive the load average goes up from 0.4 to about 15.0, and the
system becomes very unusable till I kill the cp command. I have checked
the CPU usage, bytes read from usb device, byte written to hard drive
etc, and all these values are low like CPU usage is at a maximum of 30%,
disk read bytes is at an average of 1.5 MiB/s, disk write bytes is at
1.5 MiB/s, number of processes is at 110, etc, during this high load.

So my question is what else determines the high load average that in
turn is resulting in the unresponsiveness of the system? What else
should I be looking for to debug the problem?

Thanks a lot,
Rajesh

  Last update: 2005-08-23 13:13    [W:0.171 / U:0.076 seconds]