    SubjectRe: 2.6.12 Performance problems
    Patrick McHardy wrote:
    > Danial Thom wrote:
    >
    >>None of this is helpful, but since no one has
    >>been able to tell me how to tune it to provide
    >>absolute priority to the network stack I'll
    >>assume it can't be done.
    >

    > The network stack already has priority over user processes,
    > except when executed in process context, so preemption has
    > no direct impact on briding or routing performance.

    Well, NAPI puts a lot more of the packet processing in
    process context, including the code that would do routing
    I believe.

    To give networking more priority, you can re-nice the ksoftirqd
    process(es) to a high-priority level like -18 or so.

    You can also reserve more memory for the networking stack
    and increase the size of the permitted buffers.

    I am also interested to hear how your system responds to compiling
    w/out PREEMPT.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>