SubjectRe: 2.6.12 Performance problems
Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Danial Thom wrote:
>
>>None of this is helpful, but since no one has
>>been able to tell me how to tune it to provide
>>absolute priority to the network stack I'll
>>assume it can't be done.
>

> The network stack already has priority over user processes,
> except when executed in process context, so preemption has
> no direct impact on briding or routing performance.

Well, NAPI puts a lot more of the packet processing in
process context, including the code that would do routing
I believe.

To give networking more priority, you can re-nice the ksoftirqd
process(es) to a high-priority level like -18 or so.

You can also reserve more memory for the networking stack
and increase the size of the permitted buffers.

I am also interested to hear how your system responds to compiling
w/out PREEMPT.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>