    SubjectRe: 2.6.12 Performance problems
    Patrick McHardy wrote:
    > Danial Thom wrote:
    >>None of this is helpful, but since no one has
    >>been able to tell me how to tune it to provide
    >>absolute priority to the network stack I'll
    >>assume it can't be done.
    > The network stack already has priority over user processes,
    > except when executed in process context, so preemption has
    > no direct impact on briding or routing performance.

    Well, NAPI puts a lot more of the packet processing in
    process context, including the code that would do routing
    I believe.

    To give networking more priority, you can re-nice the ksoftirqd
    process(es) to a high-priority level like -18 or so.

    You can also reserve more memory for the networking stack
    and increase the size of the permitted buffers.

    I am also interested to hear how your system responds to compiling
    w/out PREEMPT.

    Ben Greear <>
    Candela Technologies Inc

      Last update: 2005-08-24 01:33    [W:0.019 / U:6.828 seconds]