    SubjectRe: rc5 seemed to kill a disk that rc4-mm1 likes. Also some X trouble.

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:

    > >It's a PII-350 with more or less SuSE 9.3. The machine has no net access, so
    > > I can only try to narrow it down to one rc at the weekend.
    >
    > 2.6.12 works fine, everything since 2.6.13-rc1 breaks it.

    Gaah. I don't see anything really obvious in that range. However, I notice
    that pci_mmap_resource() (in drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c) now has

    + if (i >= PCI_ROM_RESOURCE)
    + return -ENODEV;

    which seems a big bogus. Why wouldn't we allow the ROM resource to be
    mapped? I could imagine that the X server would very much like to mmap it,
    although I don't know if modern X actually does that. The fact that it
    works when root runs the X server and causes problems for normal users
    does seem like there's something that root can do that users can't do, and
    doing a mmap() on /dev/mem might be just that.

    Eike, maybe you could change the ">=" to just ">" instead?

    PS. The patch that introduced this was billed as "no change for anything
    but ppc". Tssk.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:90.280 seconds]