SubjectRe: rc5 seemed to kill a disk that rc4-mm1 likes. Also some X trouble.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:

> >It's a PII-350 with more or less SuSE 9.3. The machine has no net access, so
> > I can only try to narrow it down to one rc at the weekend.
>
> 2.6.12 works fine, everything since 2.6.13-rc1 breaks it.

Gaah. I don't see anything really obvious in that range. However, I notice
that pci_mmap_resource() (in drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c) now has

+ if (i >= PCI_ROM_RESOURCE)
+ return -ENODEV;
which seems a big bogus. Why wouldn't we allow the ROM resource to be
mapped? I could imagine that the X server would very much like to mmap it,
although I don't know if modern X actually does that. The fact that it
works when root runs the X server and causes problems for normal users
does seem like there's something that root can do that users can't do, and
doing a mmap() on /dev/mem might be just that.

Eike, maybe you could change the ">=" to just ">" instead?

PS. The patch that introduced this was billed as "no change for anything
but ppc". Tssk.

Linus