    SubjectRe: Kernel bug: Bad page state: related to generic symlink code and mmap
    Hi Linus,

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
    > > Yes, sure. I have applied your patch to our 2.6.11.4 tree (with the one
    > > liner change I emailed you just now) and have kicked off a compile.
    >
    > Actually, hold on. The original patch had another problem: it returned an
    > uninitialized "page" pointer when page_getlink() failed.

    I copied the fix to that problem from your new patch by hand and
    recompiled the kernel (that way I didn't have to rebuild the modules
    again). Note I did not apply any of the fs specific changes. I only did
    the VFS part of your patch that was actually necessary. And I reverted my
    ncpfs fix so it is now again using the vfs supplied symlink helpers.

    Having booted the new kernel and trying nautilus it worked fine accessing
    the same symlink that failed before, so your patch fixes the ncpfs
    problem as one would expect but always good to be sure. (-:

    btw. It may be an idea to switch smbfs to use the fixed generic symlink
    functions, too, so it benefits from symlink caching...

    Best regards,

    Anton
    Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
    WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/