    SubjectRe: Power consumption HZ100, HZ250, HZ1000: new numbers
    Hi!

    > >Any argument along the lines of the change of a default
    > >value in the defconfig screwing people over equally applies the other
    > >way around; by not changing the defconfig, you're screwing laptop users
    > >(and others that want less power consumption) over. The world is not
    > >black and white, it's a very boring gray (or a very sadening bloody
    > >red; but I hope we won't come to that point just because of a silly
    > >argument on lkml...)
    >
    > The tradeoff is a realistic 4.4% power savings vs a 300% increase in the
    > minimum sleep period. A user will see zero power savings if they have a
    > USB mouse (probably 99% of desktops). On top of that, we can throw in
    > Con's disturbing AV benchmark results (1). As a result, some of us
    > don't think 250HZ is a great tradeoff to make
    > _for_the_default_value_.

    As I said, I do not care about default value. And you should not care,
    too, since distros are likely to pick their own defaults.

    > From what I can tell, tick skipping works fine right now, it just needs
    > some cleanup. Thus I'd expect something like it will get integrated
    > into 2.6.14. If it gets in, the default HZ should go back up to 1000.
    > In that case why decrease it for exactly one patchlevel?

    I am afraid that CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ will be ready for 2.6.14...

    Pavel
    --
    teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.