SubjectRe: Schedulers benchmark - Was: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-5.2.4 for 2.6.12 and 2.6.13-rc6
Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:28 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 05:09 +0200, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>here are interbench v0.29 resoults:
>>
>>The X test under simulated "Compile" load looks most interesting.
>>
>>Most of the schedulers do quite poorly on this test - only Zaphod with
>>default max_ia_bonus and max_tpt_bonus manages to deliver under 100ms
>>max latency. As expected with interactivity bonus disabled it performs
>>horribly.
>

> The compile load is not a real compile load; it is an extreme exaggeration of
> what happens during a compile and this is done to increase the sensitivity of
> this test. It is _not_ worth trying to get a perfect score in this.
>

>>I'd like to see some results with X reniced to -10. Despite what the
>>2.6 release notes say, this still seems to make a difference.
>

> Well of course it helps X - but then any X load totally fscks up audio on
> mainline and staircase which is why it's recommended not to renice it.

Maybe we could use interbench to find a nice value for X that doesn't
destroy Audio and Video? The results that I just posted for
spa_no_frills with X reniced to -10 suggest that the other schedulers
could cope with something closer to zero.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce