SubjectRe: [rfc][patch] API for timer hooks
Hello.

Lee Revell wrote:
>> should set CONFIG_HZ to the value I
>> need at compile-time, and just remove
>> all the timer reprogramming from the
>> driver in a hope the dynamic-tick patch
>> will slow it down itself when necessary?
> The current implementations don't allow HZ to go higher than CONFIG_HZ
> but that's the next logical step.
What I was thinking about, is that I can
just set CONFIG_HZ to the value I need.
It would be a very high value, but with
the dynamic-tick patch it shouldn't hurt. I
don't see how can I use the dynamic-tick
patch otherwise, I actually though this is
how you implied I should use it.
The question with that approach is just how
to set CONFIG_HZ to an arbitrary values
rather than to the 3 pre-defined constants
(shouldn't be difficult), and whether or not
the dynamic-tick patch will be able to slow
the timer down _that_ much:)
That would actually probably be an ideal
solution for my problem - suddenly I don't
need to change the timer speed at all. The
only limitation would be that when the
speaker driver is enabled in the config,
the ability to manually select the CONFIG_HZ
will be lost, but maybe it is not that bad
at all...

  Last update: 2005-08-18 19:01    [W:0.049 / U:0.740 seconds]