    SubjectRe: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts
    On Aug 13, 2005, at 20:57:45, Alan Cox wrote:
    >>> I have "setxkbmap -symbols 'en_US(pc102)+gb'" in my ~/.xsession,
    >>> and « and » are available as AltGr-z and AltGr-x respectively.
    >> Most keyboards don't have an AltGr key.
    > You must be an American. Most old the worlds keyboards have an AltGr
    > key. You'll find that US keyboards have two alt keys to avoid
    > confusing
    > people (like one button mice ;)) but the right one is understood by
    > the
    > X bindings to be "AltGr". Even though the US keyboard is apparently
    > lacking functionality its purely a text label issue

    And those of us who are Mac OS X oriented have patched our console and X
    keycodes to match the mac way of generating symbols:

    Alt-\ = «
    Alt-Shift-\ = »
    Alt-Shift-+ = ±

    If only someone could come up with a good character palette like exists
    on that OS, something that could generate a wide variety of keysyms,
    preferably all of UTF-8, and send them to the topmost window.

    Kyle Moffett

    Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things,
    because that
    would also stop them from doing clever things.
    -- Doug Gwyn

      Last update: 2005-08-14 03:21    [W:0.022 / U:0.604 seconds]