SubjectRe: Documenting the VFS
> Where can I found an up to date documentation about the VFS interface?
There is an ok chapter on filesystems in the O'Reilly Linux Kernel book,
and the Linux Device Drivers book (also from O'Reilly) is essential
reading.

Pay careful attention to fs/libfs.c and the nice small fs fs/ramfs which calls
libfs which are both useful as they help understand the minimum that certain
vfs interfaces require. This was helpful to me when I wrote the cifs
filesystem.

Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt has a little bit of documentation, as
does Documentation/Locking and Documentation/directory-locking.

I may try to write something (perhaps articles?) longer and
more formal if I get time.

Finally the lwn series (weekly articles) on kernel development is
invaluable in describing what changes.

  Last update: 2005-08-13 22:52    [W:0.033 / U:0.024 seconds]