SubjectRe: Need help in understanding x86 syscall
On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 10:59 -0700, Zachary Amsden wrote:

> zach-dev2:~ $ ldd /bin/ls
> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)

OHHH! So THAT is what linux-gate is used for! Thanks, I've been really
confused by that.

> This is the vsyscall entry point, which gets linked by ld into all
> processes. It is a kernel page which is visible to user space, and is
> rewritten to support sysenter if indeed that instruction is available.
> Glibc has fixed entry points to this page. Here is a view of the system
> call entry point on a machine which supports sysenter:
>
> (gdb) break _init
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x8049522
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /bin/ls
> (no debugging symbols found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> [New Thread 1075283616 (LWP 5328)]
> [Switching to Thread 1075283616 (LWP 5328)]
>
> Breakpoint 1, 0x08049522 in _init ()
> (gdb) x/10i 0xffffe400
> 0xffffe400: push %ecx
> 0xffffe401: push %edx
> 0xffffe402: push %ebp
> 0xffffe403: mov %esp,%ebp
> 0xffffe405: sysenter
> 0xffffe407: nop
> 0xffffe408: nop
> 0xffffe409: nop
> 0xffffe40a: nop
> 0xffffe40b: nop

OK, I get the same on my machine.

> On a machine that does not support sysenter, this will give you:
>
> int $0x80
> ret
>
> The int $0x80 system calls are still fully supported by a sysenter
> capable kernel, since it must run older binaries and potentially support
> syscalls during early boot up before it is known that sysenter is supported.

Now is the latest glibc using this. Since I put in a ud2 op in my
sysenter_entry code, which is not triggered, as well as an objdump of
libc.so shows a bunch of int 0x80 calls.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2005-08-11 20:20    [W:0.083 / U:0.076 seconds]