SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: 2.6.13-rc4-mm1

> That was me.

Thanks. It's good to have BIOS experts involved too. :)

> >even farther
> >>
> >> I don't like that either, but can't think of a way to make
> >it easier to
> >> keep them in sync. Can you?
>
> Major problem here is that handoff may be necessary even if whole
> USB support is disabled in config. I was thinking of integrating them
> into USB code somehow, but did not have enough time for it, sorry :(

So now would seem to be the time to start ...

> >Sure. The problem as I see it is that there are two copies, and one
> >of them isn't in the USB part of the tree. So just move it, and cope
> >with the consequences during the 2.6.14 cycle:
> >
> > (a) Move the USB quirks out of the generic PCI drivers directory
> > into the USB HCD directory (see the attached patch);
> >
> > (b) foreach HCD in (ehci ohci uhci) do:
> >
> > (1) Merge the two different routines: HCD internal init/reset
> > and the PCI quirk code are identical in intent, but they
> > each address different sets of quirks.
> >
> > (2) Then the HCD reset() and PCI quirk() code will call those
> > single shared routine.
> >

> Agree, but at least:
> - drivers/Makefile & drivers/usb/Makefile have to be modified as well
> to include quirks on CONFIG_PCI

I was more thinking that when CONFIG_PCI it should just always
descend into the relevant USB dirs; right now it only does it
when CONFIG_USB, and that shouldn't matter.

This is a reason to update that (a) patch before merging.

> - Constants like EHCI_USBCMD_RUN should probably be replaced with
> 'native' usb code ones.

Yes. That would be part of (b.1) patches above. Ditto for UHCI, OHCI;
the resulting routine would be exported to HCDs given CONFIG_USB.

It's probably too early to talk about whether the driver model
should include platform-specific device reset() methods, though
that could be handy in some other board customization cases. :)

- Dave

> Thanks,
> Aleks.
>

> >At OLS, Vojtech mentioned wanting to make "usb-handoff" be the default.
> >That's seem plausible (USB has more than its fair share of
> >BIOS issues!)
> >but should only kick in sometime after we merge the two different sets
> >of quirk handling logic.
> >
> >- Dave

  Last update: 2005-08-01 20:26    [W:0.049 / U:1.276 seconds]