    SubjectRe: 2.6.13-rc3: cache flush missing from somewhere
    Russell King <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:24:04PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
    >> "David S. Miller" <> wrote:
    >> > If one cpu stores, does it get picked up in the other cpu's I-cache?
    >> It only gets picked up by the other CPU's D-cache (which is fully
    >> coherent between cores). The I-cache needs to be invalidated on each
    >> CPU.
    > Are you sure about this requirement? I see no evidence of it in Harry's
    > patch set.

    I asked the people that know more about this architecture than me and
    they confirmed that this is a requirement. I will double check
    tomorrow with the people that did the initial Linux support.

    I haven't checked the original patch but it might work (by luck)
    without the I-cache invalidation (and without stressing it too
    much). This is because you might do a full mm flush when a process
    exits and the I-cache would be clean for newly allocated pages (only
    the D-cache needs flushing). If you don't overload memory, you don't
    get pages swapped-out/removed and the code in a page for a given
    process might remain unchanged until the process exits.

      Last update: 2005-08-01 19:01    [W:0.020 / U:12.440 seconds]