SubjectRe: Disturbing wide variation in execution time
Date
On Thursday July 7 2005 11:46 am, Philippe Troin wrote:
> Sheo Shanker Prasad <ssp@creativeresearch.org> writes:
> > I will appreciate your help in eliminating a disturbing wide
> > variation (by a factors of 2 to 2.5) in the execution time of a test
> > (execution benchmark) program under identical conditions even when
> > the machine is freshly started (rebooted) and no other user program
> > is running (not even e-mail or Internet browser).
> >
> > I have a dual Opteron 250 (2.4 GHz) running SuSE 9.3 Pro & Linux
> > version 2.6.11.4-21.7-smp (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 3.3.5
> > 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Thu Jun 2 14:23:14 UTC
> > 2005. The motherboard is Tyan Thunder K8W (S2885 ANRF) with AMI BIOS
> >
> > The machine has 4GB of PC3200 DDR RAM, two dimms on each CPU.
> >
> > The original machine bought from a vendor about 6 months ago. At
> > that time it was running SuSE 9.1 Pro and the execution time for the
> > same test program was consistently the same (around 2m 37s +/- a few
> > %). Then the mother board failed and the machine went totally
> > dead. The vendor then replaced the failed motherboard with a new
> > Tyan Thunder K8W and installed the SuSE 9.3. I am not sure whether
> > or not the AMI BIOS was also replaced.
> >
> > When the repaired machine was started, I began to notice the
> > disturbing wide variation and the frequect significant slow down of
> > the machine as exhibited by the factor of 2 to 2.5 increased
> > execution time of the test program as described above. Sometimes it
> > would be quite fast (executing at the original 2m 40s) and sometime
> > a factor of 2.5 slow, and sometimes with speed in between.
>
> 8< snip >8

Thanks very much for your taking time to think about my problem. Here are
answers to your questions.

> 1. Are you running an i386 kernel or an x86_64 kernel?

I think, I am running a x86_64 kernel. I think so, because I had asked the
vendor of the machine to install x86_64 and because the file

System.map-2.6.11.4-21.7-smp

in the /boot directory has an entry: ffffffff804f0000 T x86_64_start_kernel

and that directory also contains the gzipped file:

symvers-2.6.11.4-21.7-x86_64-smp.gz

The operating system is Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.7-smp (geeko@buildhost)
(gcc version 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Thu Jun 2
14:23:14 UTC 2005

> 2. Which BIOS version?

The BIOS is AMIBIOS version is 08.00.10 with the build date of 02/11/05
09:44:04 and has the ID: 0AAAA001.

> 3. Is node interleaving enabled in the BIOS?

When I go through the BIOS setup, I do not see any choice for the node
interleaving ON or OFF. However, I think that the two CPUs (as node0 and
node1) are made NUMA aware by default, but I could be quite wrong.

Out of ignorance, therefore, the following are the contents of

/sys/devices/system/node/node0/numastat &

numa_hit 3620274
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 21903
local_node 3610298agravaited
other_node 9976

Similarly, following are the the contents of

/sys/devices/system/node/node1/numastat

numa_hit 3089426
numa_miss 0
numa_foreign 0
interleave_hit 38355
local_node 3072605
other_node 16821

> Phil.

Thanks again, Phil, and I hope to hear from you soon.
--
Best regards.

Sheo
(Sheo S. Prasad)
Creative Research Enterprises
6354 Camino del Lago
Pleasanton, CA 94566, USA
Voice Phone: (+1) 925 426-9341
Fax Phone: (+1) 925 426-9417
e-mail: ssp@CreativeResearch.org

  Last update: 2005-07-09 00:00    [W:0.066 / U:0.088 seconds]