    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))
    On Fri, Jul 08 2005, Bodo Eggert wrote:
    > Clemens Koller <> wrote:
    > > Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
    > > to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?
    > I remember my old MFM HDD, which had a Landing Zone stored in the BIOS to
    > which the park command would seek. Maybe you could do something similar
    > and park the head on the last cylinder if the other options fail.

    Yeah, in ancient times you would simply issue a SEEK to the landing zone
    and the drive would park. Those days are long gone.

    The SEEK is just a hint anyways, with the sophisticated caching that
    drives do today I wouldn't rely on it doing anything reliable.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-07-08 08:29    [W:0.020 / U:3.940 seconds]