    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))
    On Thu, Jul 07 2005, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Just for the records....
    > > -----
    > > root@ecam:~$ ./headpark /dev/hda
    > > head not parked 4c
    > > -----
    > >
    > > HDD is a desktop Maxtor Diamond MaxPlus 9 120GB
    > > on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE Controller.
    > >
    > > Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
    > > to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?
    > >
    > > Are the commands different per HDD model / manufacturer?
    > > Then we might need some information to send the proper
    > > commands to the different types?!
    > > And if there is no headpark command, might it be valuable to send
    > > the HDD a shutdown instead?
    > >
    > > PS:
    > > I'm working on an embedded PowerPC (MPC8540) system which
    > > will be turned into a high-resolution portable camera in
    > > the future (with acceleration sensors for the right image
    > > orientation). Therefore it will likely be another candidate
    > > for a Drop'n'Park or Drop'n'Stop (tm) feature as are planning
    > > to put a 2.5" notebook HDD into the cam, too.
    > >
    > > Greets,
    > >
    > > Clemens Koller
    >
    > Clemens,
    >
    > Thanks for bringing this up. We were actually in a conversation about
    > this subject in IRC a couple of minutes ago, and this actually came
    > up. It would be a good idea to kick this little script into the kernel
    > so that people that develop new accelerometers will be able to just
    > make the call from the script already in the kernel.

    What is needed is to flesh out what the kernel interface should looke
    like. I suggested a sysfs file for suspending and resuming access to the
    device, if people have other ideas they should voice them.

    > How do we go by making this script maybe more broad, or simple so that
    > it can be implemented on more devices?

    It's a test utility, I just wrote it so people could test. The actual
    command used woule be used in the internal implementation. The file
    itself holds no other value than for testing purposes.

    --
    Jens Axboe