SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))
On Thu, Jul 07 2005, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just for the records....
> > -----
> > root@ecam:~$ ./headpark /dev/hda
> > head not parked 4c
> > -----
> >
> > HDD is a desktop Maxtor Diamond MaxPlus 9 120GB
> > on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE Controller.
> >
> > Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
> > to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?
> >
> > Are the commands different per HDD model / manufacturer?
> > Then we might need some information to send the proper
> > commands to the different types?!
> > And if there is no headpark command, might it be valuable to send
> > the HDD a shutdown instead?
> >
> > PS:
> > I'm working on an embedded PowerPC (MPC8540) system which
> > will be turned into a high-resolution portable camera in
> > the future (with acceleration sensors for the right image
> > orientation). Therefore it will likely be another candidate
> > for a Drop'n'Park or Drop'n'Stop (tm) feature as are planning
> > to put a 2.5" notebook HDD into the cam, too.
> >
> > Greets,
> >
> > Clemens Koller
> Clemens,
> Thanks for bringing this up. We were actually in a conversation about
> this subject in IRC a couple of minutes ago, and this actually came
> up. It would be a good idea to kick this little script into the kernel
> so that people that develop new accelerometers will be able to just
> make the call from the script already in the kernel.

What is needed is to flesh out what the kernel interface should looke
like. I suggested a sysfs file for suspending and resuming access to the
device, if people have other ideas they should voice them.

> How do we go by making this script maybe more broad, or simple so that
> it can be implemented on more devices?

It's a test utility, I just wrote it so people could test. The actual
command used woule be used in the internal implementation. The file
itself holds no other value than for testing purposes.

Jens Axboe