    SubjectRe: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))
    On Thu, Jul 07 2005, Clemens Koller wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Just for the records....
    > -----
    > root@ecam:~$ ./headpark /dev/hda
    > head not parked 4c
    > -----
    > HDD is a desktop Maxtor Diamond MaxPlus 9 120GB
    > on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE Controller.
    > Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
    > to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?

    This _is_ the generic way, if your drive doesn't support it you are out
    of luck.

    > Are the commands different per HDD model / manufacturer?
    > Then we might need some information to send the proper
    > commands to the different types?!

    Each drive may have a vendor unique way of parking the head. But for
    non-laptop drives, I would highly doubt it.

    > And if there is no headpark command, might it be valuable to send
    > the HDD a shutdown instead?

    That would be the solution.

    > PS:
    > I'm working on an embedded PowerPC (MPC8540) system which
    > will be turned into a high-resolution portable camera in
    > the future (with acceleration sensors for the right image
    > orientation). Therefore it will likely be another candidate
    > for a Drop'n'Park or Drop'n'Stop (tm) feature as are planning
    > to put a 2.5" notebook HDD into the cam, too.

    Just make sure to choose a suitable laptop drive, then.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-07-07 19:35    [W:0.020 / U:0.660 seconds]