    SubjectRe: sata_sil 3112 activity LED patch
    On Thu, Jul 07 2005, Aric Cyr wrote:
    > > There's also an existing variant of this in the block layer, the
    > > activity_fn, that we use on the ibook/powerbook to use the sleep led as
    > > an activity light. Just in case you prefer that to overloading the bmdma
    > > start/stop handlers.
    > You suggestion at first looked to be incredibly nice... until I looked
    > at how much implementation was required. I am considering trying it,
    > but I cannot find a place for an sata driver to call the
    > blk_queue_activity_fn() with meaningful parameters during init.
    > On a second look, I guess I would have to override
    > ata_scsi_slave_config() in the driver and hook up the activity light
    > there. This would be fine I guess. Unless I am interpreting this
    > incorrectly, however, I would need to use a timer or something to turn
    > the light back off? I'm probably missing something, so is there a
    > simpler way to do this?

    Hmm yes, it will require more work for you. It should be cleaned up a
    little to pass in a START/STOP variable and handle everything in the
    block layer instead. You probably just want to continue using the bmdma
    hooks now, that is actually a fine implementation imo.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-07-07 17:18    [W:0.021 / U:9.720 seconds]