    SubjectRe: speedstep-centrino on dothan
    Date
    st3@riseup.net wrote:
    > Currently, the speedstep-centrino support has built-in frequency/voltage
    > pairs only for Banias CPUs. For Dothan CPUs, these tables are read from
    > BIOS ACPI.
    >
    > But ACPI encoding may not be available or not reliable, so why shouldn't we
    > provide built-in tables for Dothan CPUs, too? Intel has released this
    > datasheet:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/302189.htm
    >
    > with frequency/voltage pairs for every version of Dothan CPUs.
    >
    > Moreover, I checked on Pentium M 725 and Pentium M 715 that the lowest
    > frequency at which the CPU can be set safely is not the 600MHz given in
    > datasheets, but 400MHz instead, with VID#A, VID#B, VID#C and VID#D (see
    > datasheet for more details) set to 0.908V.
    >
    > I can provide a patch, let me know.
    >

    > --
    > ciao
    > st3

    I looked into it 2 weeks ago, and i couldn't find a complete voltage
    table for the Dothan C1 stepping (which my laptop has). I only found a
    table with (IIRC) the max and min voltages for the max and min
    frequencies. I also didn't understand the meaning of the different
    VID#{A,B,C,D,E} values. Are these voltages related to the quality of the
    power supply, or the quality of the processor? How do we know which one
    to choose?

    Regards,
    --
    Pedro Ramalhais