    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:51:07 -0400, Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> said:

    > Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:41:00 -0400, Chet Hosey <chosey@nauticom.net>
    >> said:

    >> Explain how you currently allow users to annotate arbitrary files.

    > By keeping annotations /outside/ the files.

    So if I want to share annotations, I have to look in 20 different
    places?

    > [...]

    >> The situation is even better with file-as-dir. If the administrator
    >> wants to allow users to edit the description metadata for the file
    >> foo, the administrator can set the appropriate permissions for
    >> foo/.../description, and keep foo read-only.

    > So now root is responsible in exquisite detail for random other users
    > being able to keep info about my files?

    I can grant people permissions to write random info into my own files.
    Or they can use unionfs if I don't grant them permissions.

    Remember: the above argument was citing an advantage of file-as-dir over
    packed files (storing metadata as a tar or zip file, similar to what
    OpenOffice.org does, or even something like exif or id3). In a packed
    file, I can't allow people to edit the description attribute without
    allowing them to edit the entire file. With file-as-dir, I get much
    finer grained permissions.

    > [...]

    >> Actually, you could use something like unionfs to allow users to keep
    >> their own annotations without affecting everyone else's.

    > Again, root has to mount that stuff for each and every user?

    suid program that allows union mount into a directory within my own tree
    (or just into any directory that I have write permissions should be
    sufficiently secure).

    --
    Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
    PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA